Please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Maurice Strong (pronounced Morris?)
In 1929, Maurice F. Strong was born to a ‘dirt-poor’ family in Oak Lake, Manitoba. He received his education in Manitoba (at what levels?).
At 19, he was an investment analyst. At 25, he was Vice President of Dome Petroleum. At 31, he became the President of Power Corporation of Canada. He has headed Petro-Canada, Ontario-Hydro, was Director General of Canada's External Aid & was President of Canada's YMCA.
Other positions that he has held and/or is holding include:
(1) Senior Advisor to UN Secretary General Kofi Annan where he was assigned the responsibility of reforming the United Nations bureaucracy.
(2) Senior Advisor to World Bank President James Wolfensohn.
(3) Secretary General of the 1992 UN Conference on Environment and Development (the so-called Earth Summit).
(4) UN Secretary General U Thant asked him to organize & direct what became the first Earth Summit -- the 1972 Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment.
(5) Chairman of the Earth Council.
(6) Chairman of the World Resources Institute.
(7) Co-Chairman of the Council of the World Economic Forum.
(8) Executive Coordinator of the United Nations Office for Emergency Operations in Africa.
(9) Was Under-Secretary of the United Nations (to be researched).
(10) Director of the World Economic Forum Foundation.
The New York Times hailed him as the "Custodian of the Planet.”. He has also been referred to as ‘Father Earth’.
Ted Turner consulted Maurice Strong when Turner decided to donate $1 billion to the United Nations to establish the United Nations Foundation. It works on finding solutions for international conflict & environmental decline.
He has received numerous conservation and humanitarian awards as well as honorary doctorates from 29 universities.